Translate in your Language

Spring Decor

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Pasta Carbonara (with Shrimp)




Let me first gulp my saliva before I start describing this creamy Carbonara dish :) Very much Italian and loved by everyone around the world. Easy to make and one can get this on the dining table in no time. Authentically it calls for pieces of bacon strips and veggies (of your choice), but I made it with shrimp. Gotta give a twist with whatever you have at hand, right? :)

Pasta is generally eaten with nutrient-dense food partners, such as fiber-filled vegetables and beans, heart healthy fish and monounsaturated oils, antioxidant-rich tomato sauce and protein-packed cheeses, poultry and lean meats. I like Italian but not a very big fan, especially when it comes to tomato base and sauces. I will take cheese sauces any darn day. I think my favorite so far is mushroom ravioli from Macaroni Grill. It is just so super yum! Well, I don't want to divert the topic from my Carbonara today :)



So, first time I watched the making of Pasta Carbonara was on TV by Giada or Rachel (I don't quite remember), then I tasted it at Olive Garden and liked it. Later I had it at Vapianos and loved it even better (sorry olive garden folks :)). After that I had to make it at home. Checked my recipe books, it didn't get me excited. Finally I came across Pioneer Woman's Carbonara recipe and there bang!! she got my juices flowing and I made it with the shrimp (of course)!! And it did not disappoint me. Loved it! I ain't changing anything from the main sauce. It's awesome! It is one of my regular pasta dish that my kid looks forward to eat :)


Let us take a look at the Pasta Carbonara recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 12 oz pasta (I made with spaghetti, you can use any variety )
  • 1/2 medium onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 3/4 cups finely grated parmesan
  • 3/4 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp pepper powder
  • salt as per taste
  • 1/2 cup peas - optional
  • few cherry tomatoes halved (optional)
  • 1 tbsp chopped parsley

Preparation:

  • Cook pasta according to package directions. 
  • While the pasta is cooking, 
  • Sprinkle salt and pepper on shrimp and shallow fry the it in a pan for just a couple of minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. 
  • Return the pan to the stove over medium-low heat and throw in the onions and garlic. Cook until golden brown. Set aside. 
  • In a bowl, mix together eggs, parmesan, heavy cream, salt and pepper until smooth. 
  • When the pasta is done, reserve a cup or two of the pasta water. 
  • Drain the pasta and place it in a bowl. While the pasta is still really hot, slowly drizzle in the egg mixture, stirring the pasta the whole time. The sauce will become thick and should coat the pasta. Splash in a little hot pasta water if needed for consistency.
  • Halfway through, add sauteed shrimp, add the peas(if using), add tomatoes (if using) and sauteed onion/garlic. Finish adding the sauce, stirring until it's all combined. 
  • Serve immediately with garnish of extra grated parmesan and parsley.
njoy!! happY cookinG!!


Health Benefits: Pasta provides beneficial carbohydrates and fibre that our body needs. Both white and whole-wheat pastas serve as excellent sources of selenium, a mineral that activates antioxidant enzymes tasked with protecting your cells from molecular damage. Pasta also contains manganese, a mineral that helps you metabolize carbohydrates and regulate your blood sugar. Eat white pasta as a source of folate or vitamin B-9 or opt for whole-wheat pasta as a source of the carotenoids lutein. Pasta is a perfect foundation for healthy, nutritious and satisfying meals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts