Translate in your Language

Spring Decor

Friday, November 18, 2016

Lemon Pound Cake


 My first memory of baking a cake is with my aunt, she is one patient lady who loved to teach me baking and gave me an opportunity to work with eggs, butter and flour without being a Hitler :) ( like how I am with others now) I have fond memories of baking it on stove top without using an oven. She had a container where she used to place the sand at the base and then add cake batter container on top of it. That's how she made it. That pound cake was "the cake" I absolutely loved. In fact, even on my last visit to India, I had requested for a cake and she lovingly had made it for me! Love her so much for that.


My Son, My Husband and Me - can gobble this Lemon pound Cake straight up in no time and I am not even kidding! We can knock each other out for a slice :) We are a 'Pound Cake' family :):) It is so freakin ADDICTIVE!!!!

I am so so glad that my kid loves this particular pound cake just like how I used to enjoy devouring it. He loves that lemon frosting more than the pound cake itself. It gives a citrusy sweetness coating to the cake which in turn gives a nice kick to the whole bite! I instantly get transported to one of the Starbuck's shops (lol), because that is what I enjoy, a lemon cake more than the coffees and lattes :)


Let us take a look at this Lemon Pound Cake recipe which I am sure you will be saving it in your recipe folder :)


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/3 cups granulated white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1  lemon zest grated
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup  unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 4 ounces full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
For Lemon Frosting:
  • 2 cups confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar
  • 3 - 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice


Preparation:
  • Preheat your oven to 350 F (180C). Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. 
  • In a large bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  • In a small bowl rub the lemon zest into the sugar.
  • In the bowl of your electric mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment), or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and sugar and beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy for about 5 minutes. 
  • Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. 
  • Add the flour mixture, in two or three additions, and mix just until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
  • Bake for about 60 -65 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 20 -30 minutes. Then remove the cake from the pan to finish cooling before frosting.
  • For lemon frosting, place the confectioner sugar in a medium sized bowl. Add about 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and whisk until you have a thick and smooth glaze. Add more lemon juice or powdered sugar if needed to get the correct pouring consistency. 
  • Slowly pour the frosting over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Let the frosting dry before covering and storing. 
  • This cake will keep about 3 to 4 days at room temperature or about one week in the refrigerator. Can also be frozen.




njoY!! happY bakinG!!

recipe adapted from Joy of Baking site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts