Translate in your Language

Spring Decor

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Potato Stew (Kerala Style)



Call me crazy weird, but sometimes, suddenly out of nowhere, I get a very strong craving to taste this Potato Stew:) I cannot explain the feeling :) The nostalgic aroma literally starts playing up in my brain and I get an urge to have it right then! Today was one of those days and I had no choice but to cook it. Thankfully it doesn't call for an elaborate preparation, it is very simple and easy to make. It actually is eaten with idlis, appams, dosa, idli(instant poha) or roti. I also like to have it as a soup. Everyone may not agree with me on the soup part, but that's just me :)


This above picture reminds me of a married couple :) I was smiling away as I was clicking, marriages happen with food too! These 2 dishes compliment each other so well that it is mindblowing :)
This is my sister's recipe and she makes an excellent stew and steamed rice/ragi shevaya (idiyappam) to go with it. I did not have ragi(millet) in my pantry and cravings for my potato stew was very strong(:)), so just heated some store bought ragi idiyappam/shevaya (You can check the recipe of  ragi idiyappam/shevaya here!)

It is basically a comfort food, and can be enjoyed on any given day. When one is having a cold/sore throat, a super hot bowl of this stew can be served as well :) It originally comes from the state of Kerala.

Let us take a look at this fantastic Potato Stew.


Ingredients:
  • 2 potatoes med size (peeled)
  • 1 onion chopped med size
  • 10+6 curry leaves
  • 2 green chillies
  • 2-inch ginger grated
  • 2 cups semi thick coconut milk
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 carrot chopped (optional)

Preparation:
  • Dump all the ingredients except 6 curry leaves, coconut milk, carrots and coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Add little water till everything is just immersed and cook for 3 whistles.
  • Let the cooker cool down and wait till all the pressure goes away. 
  • Now mash all the ingredients with a masher and add coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for few minutes. 
  • Pour coconut oil, drop remaining 6 curry leaves, carrots and cover it with lid. 
  • Serve hot with idlis, appams, dosa, rice, roti...
You may also like the recipe of Plain Dosa, Instant Poha Idli, Oats Rava Idli...

njoY!! happY cookinG!!




Notes:* One can add other veggies also while making this stew. I mostly like it simple and don't like to mix the flavor of potato with other veggies :)

Health Benefits:

Due to the increased interest in foods that are low-carb or low-glycemic index, the potato has unjustly earned a bad reputation. Potatoes consumed in simple roasted, grilled, boiled, steamed manner with little or no oil/butter is very healthy and nutritious for health. It is loaded with calcium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron that helps in having strong bones. It has vitamin B6 which supports heart health. Choline is a very important and versatile nutrient in potatoes that helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts