Translate in your Language

Spring Decor

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Nankhatai (Indian shortbread cookies)

These are our own Desi shortbread cookies. Vegetarians can do a happy dance:) as these beauties are eggless. The best part I like about nankatai is, it is a very quick recipe. Did you know that the word Nankhatai is derived from Persian word Naan meaning bread and Khatai from an Afghan word meaning Biscuit. I didn't know either, it's a wiki information Shhh...:). You can make these and store for few days. The aroma while baking these Nankhatais takes me back to my sweet childhood days. I used to take nankhatais and donuts to school for lunch on the days we had early dismissals :)
I say bake them and make some happy memories with your kids at home :)
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 3/4th cup all-purpose flour (maida)*
  • 2 tbsp chickpea flour (besan)
  • 1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter) 
  • 1/2 cup castor sugar (powdered sugar)
  • handful chopped nuts (cashews, pistachios or almonds)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4th tsp cardamom powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)

Preparation:
  • In a mixing bowl add all purpose flour, besan, baking soda, cardamom powder.
  • In another bowl, whip ghee and powdered sugar together with a hand mixer till it becomes a smooth mixture (1 minute on low speed and 2 minutes on high speed). Add vanilla essence if you like that flavor and whip again for few seconds.
  • Slowly fold the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and knead together. Add 1/2 the portion of chopped nuts in the mixture while kneading. You basically get a crumbly mixture. 
  • Now make small size balls and press on top with your palm to flatten it a bit, and place the remaining nuts on top as a garnish if you like.
  • Place it on the baking sheet with 1 inch gap. You approximately get around 24-25 Nankhatais.
  • Bake at 350F/180C for 10-12 minutes. Keep a close eye after 9 minutes. It can burn easily. 
  • Take it out and let it rest for 5-10 minutes cause they are very soft and can break if you try to eat it immediately. 

njoY!! happY cookinG!!

Note*: You can make it using whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour taking 1:1 proportion. It tastes yum but comes out less flaky.




1 comment:

  1. Excellent read, I just passed this into a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that. white rice receipe Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts