Translate in your Language

Spring Decor

Monday, September 12, 2016

Palak Shenga Patal Bhaji (Spinach/Peanuts Gravy)

Palak (Spinach) + Shenga (peanuts) + Chana Dal (Bengal gram) + Besan (gram flour) + few spices = A finger licking Spinach Peanuts Curry! This is one of the comfort curries that I make and enjoy with rice rotti (bhakari) or phulka. Once you see the recipe you will know that it is a soul-comforting dish.

I asked my kid to give me 3 sentences describing spinach ... now the first thing that comes out of his mouth is 'it is gross'! I had to reprimand him and then coax him to say nice things (he actually likes spinach:)) So then he gave me these simple lines: 1> It is green in color and is a leaf.
2> It is healthy, and then adds, 'well I have to say that, right?'  :)
3> I like it in my soup (only)
Well, I thought that was good enough for now!



Spinach is available all over the world and is said to be first grown in Persia. The best thing about this leaf is, it has a nice texture and contains no harsh taste, so you can easily manipulate its taste to your liking. It tastes great just in plain salads, or saute with garlic, mix with coconut milk or based masala, onion tomato gravy, you can make pakodas, throw it in soups, the famous palak paneer etc etc.

This recipe of spinach gravy is unique and tastes fantastic! It is more or less Maharashtrian style of preparation and was shared by another foodie Vidya Baindur who makes excellent thalis. Her thalis are the best in town and to die for! Thanks to her that I make this curry often and am happy to share it on my blog now.

Let us take a look at the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh palak chopped (or 1 cup of frozen palak)
  • 2 tbsp peanuts
  • 2 tbsp channa dal(bengal dal)
  • pinch methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
  • 1-2 green chillies (depending on hotness)
  • pinch asafoetida
  • 2 tbsp gram flour (besan)
  • 1/2 tsp jaggery
  • 1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
  • salt as per taste
  • 2 tsp oil
For tempering:
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 4-5 curry leaves
  • 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
  • pinch haldi
  • 1/4 tsp chilli pwd


Preparation:
  • Soak peanuts and chana dal in little water for an hour. Drain the water and keep aside. 
  • In a pressure cooker (or vessel), heat oil, add hing, methi seeds, green chillies and saute. Add palak leaves and saute further. Drop peanuts and chana dal, mix everything, add 1.5 cups water and cook for 1 whistle or till peanuts and chana dal is cooked if cooking in a vessel.
  • Open the lid once the cooker cools down. 
  • Mix besan in a little water to make a smooth paste. Add this mixture in palak while you stir. Add jaggery, salt, tamarind and bring to a boil, adjust water if needed (besan starts thickening the curry) and simmer for few minutes.
  • Make a tempering/tadka by heating oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, once it splutters add curry leaves, hing, turmeric, chilly pwd and pour over the spinach curry.
  • Serve hot with bhakri, rice or roti!


njoY!! happY cookinG!!

Health Benefits: Spinach has a high content of vitamin K and is useful for protein modification and plays an important role in protecting bones from osteoporosis. Spinach is also high in fiber, which helps break down food and keeps your digestive system moving.One cup of spinach is all you need to get a full day’s requirement of vitamin A. That’s good news for your tired eyes. Very rich in iron content, that’s why vegetarians and anemics are encouraged to eat lots of spinach for healthy blood and proper red blood cell production.If you are prone to asthma attacks or have difficulty breathing, include spinach in your diet. The beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium and magnesium in spinach all have anti-asthmatic properties.


7 comments:

  1. I made this curry last week, it was so simple to make and very yummy too...thanks Van for the recipe..😄😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are trying so many recipes from my blog. Moreover taking time to drop your feedback. Thanks a lot Archie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vandana ! My day started out horrible ! First snowfall of the season, in Cleveland, Ohio and it drenched us with 10 inches of snow - My car was stuck in the driveway. Just what I need in this COVID pandemic. I dug myself out, and I needed some strong comfort food, so I came to your blog.

    I used your recipe and suggestions, but I doubled the amount of peanuts. In my case, peanuts, blanched and preboiled with salt. I added an extra pinch of Hing, and used a cup of 2 percent buttermilk, instead of the tamarind juice. The gravy becomes a little thicker, as I prefer.
    I also added a spoonful of sugar, instead of the jaggery.
    It turned out great, and I used a subsandwish bread, to soak, .... and I am good to go, for another eight hours !!
    Thank You for your lovely Blog and recipe. and the Best of Luck !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vandana, Landed here from a google search. Perfect recipe. The only modification I made was adding 2 tbsp goda masala and slices of coconut while tempering - okay that makes it 2 modifications :-) It was my first time making patal bhaji and it came out perfect - remind me of home. I'm totally bookmarking this page! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All over the world, the best known varieties of rice is Basmati Organic Rice in Pakistan. Basmati rice is a variety of slightly grained, aromatic, top long grain rice in Pakistan. The Punjab region in the Himalayan foothills is home to Pakistan’s Super Kernel Basmati rice. Pakistan is one of the world’s major rice exporters and according to Live best Pakistani rice Index, approximately 3 million MTS rice (processed) per annum are shipped to China, the Middle East, Europe and East Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wild rice is usually used for species of the genera Zizania and Porteresia, both wild and domesticated, although the term may also be used for primitive or uncultivated varieties of Oryza. See my site rice price in pakistan

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts